- Patients 18 through 85 years of age who had a diagnosis of essential hypertension within the first six months of the measurement period or any time prior to the measurement period with a medical visit during the measurement period
- Note: Include patients who were born on or after January 1, 1932, and on or before December 31, 1998
- Patients whose blood pressure at the most recent visit is adequately controlled (systolic blood pressure less than 140 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure less than 90 mmHg) during the measurement period
- Denominator Patients with evidence of end-stage renal disease (ESRD), dialysis, or renal transplant before or during the measurement period
- Patients with a diagnosis of pregnancy during the measurement period
- Numerator Not Applicable
- 67 million American adults (31 percent) have high blood pressure—that’s one in every three adults.
- About half (47 percent) of people with high blood pressure have their condition under control.
- Hypertension greatly increases the risk for heart disease and stroke, the first and third leading causes of death in the U.S.
- Almost 30 percent of American adults have prehypertension—blood pressure numbers that are higher than normal, but not yet in the high blood pressure range. Prehypertension raises your risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Coordinated Care Organization (CCO) Incentive Measure Defintion
- Health Resources and Services (HRSA)'s information on hypertension control
- Improved Blood Pressure Control Associated with a Large-Scale Hypertension Program
- CDC Field Note Article on Kaiser Permanente Colorado's Hypertension Management Program
- Kaiser Permanente article: Kaiser Permanente Colorado Hailed as Hypertension Champion
- CDC website on hypertension
- Pacific Medical Training artcile on blood pressure
Resources and Tools for Reducing Hypertension Rates:
Hypertension Resources - CHCs of Lane County
Healthy Hearts Northwest Resources - ORPRN
Learning & Sharing Session: Examples of Effective Chronic Disease Management Programs Across the Nation (Hypertension) - Sept. 2016
Hypertension Resources - Winding Waters
Learning & Sharing Session: Hypertension - May 2016
Data/QI Review Call: Hypertension Presentation - Sept. 2015
Tips for Obtaining Blood Pressure measurement - Measure Up/Pressure Down Campaign
Articles on Hypertension - Asher CHC